Amory School District receives $1.5M for damages from March tornadoes

posted in: Mississippi News | 0

The Amory School District is set to receive over $1.5 million for the reimbursement of expenses resulting from severe storms and a deadly EF-3 tornado earlier this year.

The Mississippi Emergency Management Agency (MEMA) and FEMA released that the district would be issued $1,527,725 in funding for damages that occurred in March.

A total of 25 fatalities and dozens of injuries were confirmed by MEMA shortly after the storms passed, with two of the deaths being located in Amory.

“I would say 40 percent of homes in the town or are in the community are damaged to some sort,” Amory Mayor Corey Glenn told Fox & Friends.

In turn, the district temporarily relocated students, teachers, and staff to four modular units in response to the storms, which resulted in the removal of 14,280 square feet of grass and crushed rock.

All four units were used as classrooms and for other educational and support uses, as well as temporary power and bathrooms.

In all, FEMA’s cost share for the projects — which allows reimburses applicants 75 percent of costs while the remaining 25 percent is covered by the state — totaled approximately $1,145,000.

The post Amory School District receives $1.5M for damages from March tornadoes appeared first on SuperTalk Mississippi.