As Mississippi enters day two of the winter storm, officials continue to urge caution, especially on the roads.
In an early morning update, the Mississippi Department of Transportation issued a warning that icy road conditions have been reported in 74 of the state’s 82 counties.
For the latest road closures and traffic updates – click here.
Avoid all non-essential travel and if you must drive, MDOT provides the following tips:
- Remember, ice will form on bridges and overpasses quicker than the road.
- Slow down; should winter weather conditions become present, black ice can form.
- Allow more space between the vehicles around you.
- Brake early and gently to avoid skidding, and never slam on the brakes.
- Avoid distractions, such as talking or texting on a cell phone.
- Stay alert
In the meantime, MDOT crews are working hard to clear the roadways.
MDOT crews around the state helped clear roads of ice, snow and stranded vehicles.
Crews continue efforts to keep roads passable for emergency responders and essential workers. If you must drive, SLOW DOWN. pic.twitter.com/5G1RnM56SM
— MDOT (@MississippiDOT) February 15, 2021
The post MDOT: 74 Mississippi counties reporting icy road conditions appeared first on SuperTalk Mississippi.