The Mississippi State Fair returns this Thursday and with some new security measures.
“When people come to the Mississippi State Fair in 2022, it will be the safest place in the state of Mississippi,” Commissioner of Agriculture and Commerce Andy Gipson said.
New security measures at this year’s state fair include seven points of entry with metal detectors, video surveillance overseeing the entirety of the fairgrounds, as well as an increase in law enforcement.
There will also be a curfew that requires attendees under 18 years old to have adult supervision at the fairgrounds after 9:00 p.m.
“I’ve watched this personally over the last four years as commissioner, we have people who just drift in sometimes up to no good late at night, so we think adopting this measure is going to cut a lot of those issues out,” Gipson said.
Safety at the state fairgrounds has been a major concern for months following a shooting that occurred at the Mississippi Mudbug Festival in May, resulting in one death and five injuries.
Other safety rules for the 2022 Mississippi State Fair include:
• All bags are subject to search. The maximum bag size that will be accepted into the Fair is 12”x12”x6”.
• No outside food or beverage allowed.
• No marketing, soliciting, political, or vending items allowed unless and as authorized under Fairground regulations.
• No animals (other than service animals or as authorized by Fair management for Fair activities), banners, fireworks/explosives, or laser pointers allowed.
• Pursuant to state law, the legal carry of firearms by all lawful adults is recognized on the Mississippi Fairgrounds.
• Exceptions and challenges to these policies will be satisfied at the discretion of Fair Management.
To see the full schedule for the 2022 Mississippi State Fair, click here.
The post Mississippi State Fair returns Thursday with new safety measures appeared first on SuperTalk Mississippi.