More than $3 million has been awarded to 18 restoration and preservation projects in Mississippi.
Part of the Community Heritage Preservation Grant program, the money will help preserve and restore historic courthouses, schools, and other properties.
“The Legislature has saved hundreds of significant Mississippi properties through this program,” MDAH director Katie Blount said. “The Department of Archives and History is grateful for the Legislature’s support and pleased to be able to help preserve these local treasures.”
Grants have gone to the following:
- Auburn, Natchez, Adams County – $234,192 (Portico columns, Billiard Hall, and Duncan Pavilion restoration)
- Alcorn County Courthouse, Corinth, Alcorn County – $150,000 (Courtroom and interior restoration)
- Carrollton Water Tower, Carrollton, Carroll County – $47,784 (Repaint)
- Chickasaw County Courthouse, Houston, Chickasaw County – $214,690 (Window Replacement)
- Saenger Theater, Hattiesburg, Forrest County – $250,000 (Interior restoration)
- Holmes County Courthouse, Lexington, Holmes County – $276,630 (Second floor courtroom restoration; masonry repointing)
- Fulton Grammar School, Fulton, Itawamba County – $93,860 (Roof repairs)
- Jefferson Davis County Courthouse, Prentiss, Jefferson Davis County – $220,800 (Roof repairs)
- Madison County Jail (Old), Canton, Madison – $54,456 (Roof and interior repairs)
- Columbia Waterworks, Columbia, Marion County – $274,027 (ADA restrooms; HVAC & electrical installation, interior paint)
- Booker T. Washington School, Philadelphia, Neshoba County – $115, 200 (Gym floor and bleacher repairs)
- Noxubee County Library, Macon, Noxubee County – $80,000 (Roof restoration; masonry and plaster repairs)
- McCormick Administration Building, Senatobia, Tate County – $264,000 (Exterior and window restoration; masonry repairs)
- Bowmar Elementary School, Vicksburg, Warren County – $245,395 (Exterior repairs)
- Warren County Courthouse, Vicksburg, Warren County – $100,000 (Overall site drainage repairs; masonry wall stabilization)
- Edna M. Scott Elementary, Leland, Washington County – $167,920 (Exterior repairs; masonry wall stabilization)
- Wilkinson County Courthouse, Woodville, Wilkinson County – $168,000 (Clock Tower Stabilization)
- Yalobusha County Courthouse, Water Valley, Yalobusha County – $191,275 (Window Restoration)
The post Over $3M going to restore historic properties in Mississippi appeared first on SuperTalk Mississippi.