With frigid weather moving in across the state, Entergy is offering some simple tips on how to both save money and stay warm.
Easy Tips to Help Keep Your Bill in Check
- Replace air filters. Dirty filters make your heating system work harder. Replace them according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Weatherize doors and windows. Examine windows and exterior doors for air leaks and seal them with caulk or weatherstripping.
- Close the gaps. Check for gaps around exterior plumbing and wiring in your attic. Seal them with caulk or foam insulation.
- Seal air ducts. Look for holes or poor connections in accessible ductwork and seal with mastic tape. Insulate ducts in a garage or crawlspace.
- Check that thermostat. The bigger the temperature difference between outdoors and in, the harder your heating system has to work. Set the thermostat at 68 degrees during winter months for an easy way to reduce energy use. Every degree above 68 can increase a bill by about 3%. Setting a thermostat at 78 degrees, for example, could add 30% to your bill.
Take Advantage of Tools to Track Energy Use
Entergy Mississippi customers can monitor their energy use through myAdvisor. Energy usage updates several times daily, with displayed usage in 15-minute increments. Using proactive alerts, customers can set a monthly budget and energy use goals and receive notifications when nearing the selected goal.
Also, a bill projection tab on this site provides an estimate of what the bill will be at the end of the billing cycle. The bill analyzer tool lets users compare previous bills by month and year to better understand how variables like the number of days in the billing cycle, energy use, fuel costs and weather can affect future bills.
The post Stay warm and save money during the coming cold snap appeared first on SuperTalk Mississippi.